Friday, January 26, 2018

Chase Talks About Things He Found Using NoveList


  1. The Lunatic Café is the fourth book in the Anita Blake series. I chose this naturally because it is the fourth book in the series.
  2. I chose Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood because both titles have the same lyrical and descriptive writing style as well a thought-provoking tone. However, the book by Atwood is faster paced than the one mentioned. The patron didn't mention any plot elements, so I essentially went off those aspects.
  3. The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery might be a good selection for this patron. It is set in Japan in the 19th century. The writing style is described as descriptive, which covers many of the traditions Japan is known for.
  4. I would suggest Deborah Crombie's books. Her writing seems to be closer to Elizabeth George's than John Sandford's. Both of these writers write intricate plots but are leisurely paced. Their tone is also similar in that they have a strong sense of place and suspense.
  5. The Passage by Justin Cronin is the first book in a series about a virus that creates blood-thirsty vampires. Although it's not about zombies, it is still in the apocalyptic/horror genre as The Walking Dead and World War Z. This novel is character driven as are the other two works while offering the bleak and suspenseful tones.
  6. Andre Aciman's Call Me by Your Name is a little bit out of the five year period suggested. However, this novel is set in the 80s but doesn't seem so dated. The novel is impeccably and stylistically written in from both character and the setting perspective. The movie is currently in theaters and has been nominated for an Oscar. 
  7. Mary Higgins Clark is the way to go with this one. I thing a good number of librarians would immediately jump to her. I would also suggest a local author, Lori Rader-Day, who has won the Mary Higgins Clark award for Little Pretty Things in 2016.
I'm pretty much up on the types of books I like to read, which as I have mentioned before is mainly non-fiction, pop culture based books. I always look at Entertainment Weekly's book review section since they cover a lot of that area. If I'm looking for fiction, I tend to do subject searches in the Overdrive catalog or look at Amazon suggestions based off of other things I've ordered or looked at.



2 comments:

  1. I never thought about the fact that I read Entertainment Weekly! They do often have really good reviews and definitely cover a broad range--their features are good, too. I'm also intrigued by your suggestion of Oryx and Crake! I'd never have thought to suggest it, but the reasoning makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great prompt response! You did an excellent job outlining resources used and steps taken to answer the queries. Full points!

    ReplyDelete