Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Chase Talks About NonFiction & Readers' Advisory, Matrix-Style


THE READERS’ ADVISORY MATRIX FOR CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES: THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF FRIDAY THE 13TH BY PETER M. BRACKE

1.     Where is the book on the narrative continuum?
A mix (combines highly narrative moments with periods of fact-based prose)
2.     What is the subject of the book?
Films and film making - the book is about the making of the movies in the Friday the 13th series.
3.     What type of book is it?
Oral history in interview style
4.     Articulate appeal
·      What is the pacing of the book?
The pace is fairly quick
·      Describe the characters of the book.
The characters are the real-life participants in each of the films including actors, production staff, directors, producers, etc.
·      What is the intent of the author?
To collect the definitive oral history of the film series.
·      What is the focus of the story?
The focus conveys the experience of how the films were made and what the participants experienced.
·      Does the language matter?
Yes - in that most of the story is done in oral history form taken from multiple perspectives
·      Is the setting important and well described?
The settings come from multiple perspectives so there are some conflicting reports. However, familiarity in the films helps make these clearer.
·      Are there details and, if so, of what?
Plenty of details describing budgets, scripts, special effects, acting, onset experiences, audience reactions, fandom, etc.
·      Are there sufficient charts and other graphic materials? Are they useful and clear?
Yes, they contain production stills, behind the scenes photos, production notes, advertisements, etc. that complement the narrative.
·      Does the book stress moments of learning, understanding, or experience?
The book leans heavily on delivering the experience from those who were a part of the making of the films. Although one does learn about the process of filmmaking in the process.
5.     Why would a reader enjoy this book (rank appeal?)
1.     Nostalgia
2.     Detail
3.     Characterization


5 comments:

  1. I wasn't quite sure how to approach my own annotation for this week's annotation, so I went with Wyatt's simple non-fiction annotation, which worked well with the simple book I chose, "On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons From the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder. For your book, I much prefer this method of annotation. This annotation would be very useful to me as a librarian, as this book is not in my wheelhouse for what I would read voluntarily. You did an excellent job of articulating the appeal in a way that makes this title really easy for me to evaluate for readers' advisory purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see this work as being excellent for an integrated advisory style interview that taps into horror (films and books) and non-fiction. If you knew you had a slasher fan this could be an excellent way to offer them a path to expand their reading selections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love about this is that I can immediately think of five+ people who would love this book, even though I've never read it myself. I bet it's really fun for fans of the movies! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One reason I love the annotation/matrix assignments is that they introduce me to books that I didn't know existed, but would definitely read! I have to ask, though - since opinions aren't really expressed - did you LIKE the book?

    ReplyDelete