Thursday, April 5, 2018

Chase Talks About the New Adult Book "How to Date a Douchebag: The Studying Hours"


How to Date a Douchebag: The Studying Hours by Sara Ney

Synopsis:

When the university’s star wrestlers, Sebastian “Oz” Osborne, and his teammates spot the studious, cardigan and pearl wearing Jameson Clarke across they library, Oz makes a bet with the guys that he can get the seemingly book nerd to kiss him. However, Jameson doesn’t have time for arrogant douchebags as she’s struggling in school but she agrees to the kiss for half of the bet money. Despite an outwardly repulsion for each other, neither one of them can stop thinking about the other.

Oz starts inserting himself into Jameson’s life. Sitting at her study table in the library. Inviting himself to her ski room as well as her hotel room with a single bed. Taking her roommate out on a date. With her resistance wearing down, Jameson insists that they can only be friends because his womanizing ways tells her that he can only hurt her.

Each page builds the sexual tension between the two, but are these two capable of falling in love with the other?

New Adult/Romance Elements in How to Date a Douchebag: The Studying Hours:
·      The book focuses on a very steamy, somewhat explicit romance between two characters in their early 20s in a college setting.
·      Each of the main protagonists has a coming of age moment in accepting their personalities and budding romance.
·      The lead male character is rugged, strong, and dangerous while the female lead is bright, independent, and attractive.
·      Relatively fast-faced.
·      Very descriptive in describing moments of romance.
·      Readers are pulled into the emotional-drive of the romance up to its happy ending.


Read-Alikes:
·      Come A Little Closer by Kim Karr
o   Steamy romance
o   Character driven
o   Coming of age/forced to change
·      Getting Schooled by Emma Chase
o   Steamy romance
o   Rugged male/Independent female
o   Fast-paced
·      Mr. Wrong by Tessa Blake
o   Steamy romance
o   Bad boy/good girl
o   Character driven


4 comments:

  1. Great annotation, and you wanna know why? Because your description of the story and its appeal terms has me squirming and rolling my eyes just as much as if I had read the book! I truly mean that as a compliment - I just can't do the cat-and-mouse romance bit. At least it's more believable when its teens trying to figure out the intricacies of new love. When its two middle-aged people acting that way in books, I just have to scream in my head, "Will you two grow up?!" lol. I guess it's pretty obvious I'm not a fan of romance, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chase! Did you end up liking the book? I would think this selection was one you made to take you out of your comfort zone. This book doesn't appeal to me (I am a fan of romance, but not of what Shawn is calling cat-and-mouse storylines), but you did an excellent job with your annotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was definitely the book I chose as one that was outside of my comfort zone. I can't say that I liked it, but it wasn't as painful of a read as I thought it would be. I will not be reading anymore from this series.

      Delete
  3. Great job summarizing the book. I saw the title and thought "oh lord" but the summary sounds solid! Full points! And kudos for tacking the NA genre :)

    ReplyDelete