Thursday, April 26, 2018

Chase Talks About Then, Now, & Later: Reading & Books


Earlier today, I had lunch with a friend, and we talked about our mutual love for 80s music. I almost exclusively listen to 80s music and artists, even their current stuff. My friend asked me when my cutoff year was from when I stopped following newer music artists. (Somewhere in the early 90s.) Anyway, my follow-up reply was that if you knew me back then, then you know me now and vice versa.

Before I began this post, I looked back at my original post that described my reading profile. In that post, I discuss Smurfs, Scooby Doo, the Muppets, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th movies, and TV’s The Facts of Life. When it comes to reading, the previous statement about knowing me then versus now still holds true. Nonfiction books based on pop culture will always be my go-to reading because I’d rather know 50 things I didn’t know about The Brady Bunch than to be 50 Shades Freed.

Still, I will say that I have opened up myself to more fiction in the last couple of years, but I suspect that might have something to do with completing my master’s degree. In the last couple of years, I have read several fiction books that I normally would not have read because they didn’t approach subjects that I was not already interested in such as a Haitian teenager trapped beneath rubble from the 2010 earthquake (In Darkness by Nick Lake,) a teenage girl who was victim of a sexual assault and further victimized by her community (Asking for It by Louise O’Neill,) and several other books. (I will exclude the New Adult genre because I’m just going to.) Essentially, I have since found myself reading more fiction than I have in most of my adult life, so I see my reading habits and choice evolving more now than ever before.

What about the future for reading and books in general? First of all, print books are never going away. I think that a lot of the hype about eBooks taking over relates more to reference materials and information gathering than it does reading for pleasure. Books have been and will always be a status symbol of sorts. I have always loved the quote by filmmaker John Waters, “If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't f*¢k 'em!” Books are a sign of intelligence, curiosity, adventure, diversity, and many other good things. Seeing someone’s book collection is a great way to see who they are.

The big changes for books is in the coming years is that we’re going to see more independent books coming back. Real independent books. Not vanity publishers that were bought up by big name publishers. Self-publishing is going to grow, and the digital format makes it easier than ever for anyone to put out a book who wants to. We might not see the big advertising campaigns that have more to do with making money than the love of reading. We’re going to see word-of-mouth campaigns that will let art and connections be at the forefront of reading again. The future of reading is going to cove more ground and voices than ever before, but the big mystery will be how those voices will be discovered.

5 comments:

  1. Remember that time in the oughties when cell phones got so small Ben Stiller had to make a joke about them? (See Zoolander...) My point is that I think you're right about physical books as furniture, status symbol, self representation and expression. We are more attached to the physicality of objects than we realize ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Chase, I love the John Water's quote. Yeah, books are status symbols and, as I am very aware as a romance reader, a way for people to judge you. I have my prejudices (religious books, Nicolas Sparks books, hunting material) so I recognize it's human and we all do it. I know romance readers have really embraced E-Readers as a way not to be judged when reading in public. I love books. I don't want a dang computer to read. Reading your post made me realize I have changed in my reading preferences as I've gotten older in that I can't read the sad stuff I did when I was a kid. I just remembered you were in MFY last semester. Didn't you keep reading books where you were the only who read the book you selected? I'm glad you're getting more responses this semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was the guy who had no one to discuss my books with because no one else read them. I had to remind myself not to take It personally.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I've never laughed so hard as I did at the John Waters quote. That is great, and he does make a very valid point.

    As a child of the 80s, your post makes me smile. I still love my 80s culture and don't think I'll ever let it go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love that quote :) Full points on a fun, heartfelt post!

    ReplyDelete